Well, it's official...summer is here! And to kick off summer, I'll be vacationing in Florida with my family this week, and best of all going to the greatest place on Earth...Disney World! My son is turning the big 5 on Saturday, so this vacation is all in celebration of this big milestone. I went to Disney World for the very first time for my 5th birthday, so I'm super excited that my big boy gets to do the same. Plus, this will be his first time flying, along with my daughter, and our family and friends are going with us too, so there's so much fun in store, I just can't contain myself! Be sure to check back soon for a full recap.
So while I'm in Florida, and you're home celebrating summer, I wanted to share a great dish you can add to your summer entertaining menu. Whether you enjoy hosting backyard barbecues/cookouts, ladies nights in, or simply spur of the moment get togethers with family and friends, this dish is sure to be a hit and great addition to your summer meals. Whenever I'm invited to a potluck or entertain in the summer, my go to dish is pasta salad, and often times I add shrimp. I adopted the recipe I use from my mom, and made a few slight tweaks to make it my own, such as using rotini instead of spaghetti noodles. This refreshing and delicious dish is perfect with grilled entrees, and many times I eat it as an entree itself for a lighter lunch.
- 1 box of rotini noodles
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup of chopped bell peppers
- 1 bag of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower mix
- 1 large bottle for Kraft zesty italian dressing
- 1 container of McCormick's salad supreme seasoning
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Tail-off shrimp
- Glass serving bowl
- Boil rotini noodles according to the directions on the box. Then rinse and set aside.
- Rinse and chop all of the vegetables into bite size/finely cut pieces using a knife. Alternatively, use a food chopper, which I love because it saves so much time, or buy pre-chopped vegetables. Once you are done, put the chopped vegetable mix into a bowl, and mix well.
- Place 1/3 of your cooked rotini into a glass serving bowl. Add 1/3 of your chopped vegetable mix into the glass serving bowl. Then sprinkle a nice amount of salad supreme seasoning over the mixture and add 1/4 of the zesty italian dressing. Mix all of the ingredients in the bowl well.
- Optional Step: If you want to add cooked shrimp to your pasta salad, rinse the shrimp and then season them in a seperate bowl with Old Bay Seasoning. When doing step 3 above, add 1/3 of the shrimp from the bowl to the mixture.
- Repeat step 3 twice (and optional step 4), which should result in a large well seasoned bowl of pasta salad with or without shrimp.
- My suggestion is to cook your pasta salad the day before your intend to eat it and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to wake up the flavor. Save any extra salad supreme, vegetable mix and zesty italian dressing.
- The next morning, taste the pasta salad, and add extra salad supreme and zesty italian dressing as needed. Then sprinkle a little of the vegetable mix on top. Serve and Enjoy!
I don't know about you, but now I'm hungry and can't wait to make another batch of this again soon! Tell me if you plan to try this tasty summer dish, and 1 of your favorite go to dishes for summer.