Summer is almost here, and it's going to be a "sweet" one! Be sure to check out our "Sweet Summer" posts this month on our blog, as we'll be sharing cake, cupcake and dessert/candy table inspiration, highlights and more. Today, we are happy to share our recent interview with the talented Sabrina Hare, owner of Couture Cakes by Sabrina. When I first discovered this Washington, DC cake boutique, I was absolutely in awe of the jaw-dropping cake designs. Sabrina is sure to add the wow factor to any cake she bakes and designs, but don't take my word for it, see for yourself below and read on to view our interview:
Sensational Soirees: What inspired you to start baking cakes?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: As a child in Saginaw, Michigan, I was always around cooks in my family. I developed a passion for baking watching my grandmother make pies and cakes for the family. During the summers, I worked with my Aunt, who owned a catering company, in her commercial kitchen prepping for weddings.
Sensational Soirees: When did you start Couture Cakes by Sabrina?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: Couture Cakes by Sabrina was started in January 2013. I started this after being downsized from my job. I was thinking now is the time to do this.
Sensational Soirees: What sets you apart from other cake boutiques in the Washington, D.C. area?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: Couture Cakes by Sabrina is set apart from other cake boutiques for the following reasons:
- Unique cake designs that highlight attention to detail and exclusivity
- Innovative cake flavors and pairings: We pride ourselves on creating custom flavor pairings for our clients, such flavors as Peach Nostalgia, Lemon and Key Lime Pie, and Champagne and Strawberries just to name a few.
- The Experience: We pride ourselves on creating a distinct experience for our client; such as providing a customized sketch of their cake prior to the wedding or party, and providing an Anniversary Program for a free cake topper for their one year wedding anniversary. Our motto is...it's not just cake! It's an experience! We focus on creating the experience of exclusivity.
Sensational Soirees: What are some of your popular cake flavors?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: Some of our top flavors are as follows:
- Key Lime Pie: Key Lime Cake, Lime Curd, Candied Graham Cracker Crumbs, with a Vanilla Buttercream
- Lemon Pie: Lemon Cake, Lemon Curd, Candied Graham Cracker Crumbs, with a Vanilla Buttercream
- Tiramisu: Espresso infused Butter Cake, Mascarpone Mousse, Chocolate Ganache, with Cappuccino Buttercream with a Dark Chocolate Crunch
- Raspberry: Vanilla Cake infused with fresh Raspberries, Raspberry Mousse, Raspberry Buttercream with a White Chocolate Crunch
Sensational Soirees: What are some of your specialties and/or favorite creations?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: Our specialty has been our ruffle cake. We get a lot of requests for this design, because it is different and not typically seen.
Sensational Soirees: What should a client know before meeting with you?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: A client should have a vision for their event. When a client has a vision, it enables me to work with them to create that custom design for their event.
Sensational Soirees: Do you primarily create wedding cakes or special occasion cakes and cupcakes as
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: We primarily create wedding and special occasion cakes. However, we will make cupcakes to supplement servings.
Sensational Soirees: In your opinion, what cake trends are “in”?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: The ‘in’ cake trends are definitely color, vintage/lace, and bling. The pantone color of the year is ‘Radiant Orchid’. People are using color to reflect their personality and style.
The Great Gatsby brought into the forefront glamour, bling, and all things fabulous. Wedding Cakes having more allure and are over the top. The cake is the center of attraction at the wedding reception.
Lastly, Brides are returning to the Vintage/Lace Style. They are using the lace patterns from their dresses and incorporating those elements into their cake design. Vintage reflects romantic, which never goes out of style.
Sensational Soirees: For you, what is the best part of the baking process?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: My favorite part is actually decorating, which isn’t part of the baking process. I get excited when a client trusts me enough to create something fabulous for their event. That is what being an artist is about.
Sensational Soirees: What is your personal favorite cake or dessert?
Couture Cakes by Sabrina: Ice Cream
For a one of a kind wedding or special occasion cake, contact Couture Cakes by Sabrina here and visit their website. Also, connect with them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Be sure to mention Sensational Soirees sent you.